Memories... Experiences... Thoughts...

Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Earthquake in Haiti

I usually do not pay any attention to any natural disaster, other than the Tsunami in end of 2004. Because it simply does not bother me. I have my own share of things to worry and I do not have anymore bandwidth to look at most other problems. I get the news only because the media is fervantly talking about it and people are talking about it.

Reflect, reflect... why is this so?

Its because, there's simply nothing I can do about it.I am not a fire-fighter nor a rescue worker. Other than knowing the painful truth from the news, why not stay in the blissful state of ignorance and continue to think that every part of the world is still doing good?

The Earthquake in Haiti is the latest incident to prove my ignorance. Other than the number of people who died from this natural disaster, I do not even know where Haiti is. I came across the news finally today and found out magnitude of this disaster. The situation, if the press did not sensationalise, is really bad. Or, it could be worst because the press could not cover everything.

I realise once again how blissful I am to be born here in Singapore. Yes, we have a "blood sucking"  government but I have learnt enough from my MBA course that what they do are necessary evils. Simply put, no matter how 'bad' nor 'authocratic' they appear to seem, the fact is they made Singapore into a first world state after ~40 years of independence. And yes, we are looking at a country with small land size, no natural resources and best of all, no natural disaster. Or else I will never get to live in a place call Pinnacles@Duxton.

People know this and yet people overlook this. We get so comfortable in life that we demand more and more. Probably this is the energy that drives our country's economy.


Regardless, I wish for all Singaporeans to be happy. If they are ever faced with a pitfall, stop and think about the people in places like Haiti, and be reminded about how fortunate we are.

Now, let us all pray (if it helps) for the best for the people in Haiti and may the international "powers" do something more quickly than to sit around a big table and talk

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home